We collaborate with several of the best universities and research labs in the world. These collaborations have helped Signal Media to continue to research at the cutting-edge of information retrieval and machine learning, while providing academic collaborators with the opportunity to gain valuable commercial experience in a growing company.
- Shortlisted for "KTP Initiative of the Year" at the Times Higher Education Leadership & Management Awards (April 2016)
- "Changing Industries" winner on Bloomberg Business Innovators List (Jan 2016)
- The UK Innovate “Knowledge Transfer Partnership” programme. This collaboration won the Best of the Best KTP 2015 prize
- ECIR 2015 Best Demo Award
- ongoing: The UK Innovate “Knowledge Transfer Partnership” programme
- 2013-2015: The UK Innovate “Knowledge Transfer Partnership” programme
- 2014: EPSRC funded industrial studentship
Signal aims to grow its rich network through collaborations with external researchers in, but not limited to, the fields of Information Retrieval, Text Analytics, Machine Learning and Information Visualisation. Our collaborations provide both parties a great opportunity to learn and exchange knowledge.
- Jarana Manotumruksa is a PhD student at Glasgow. His work is exploring deep learning and transfer learning across distinct document sets.
We collaborate with universities including UCL, Essex and City University to find placements for masters-level students. We have hosted several students in the past and are actively seeking new students. Past projects have included using deep learning to tackle both sentiment analysis and text summarisation; entity relationship extraction; and event detection in streaming news.
Student projects for Summer 2017:
- Raul Axel Suarez Martinez - Essex University MSc project - finding tweets associated with major news stories
- Anthony Hartshorn - UCL MSc project - identifying and characterising quotes from news articles