We collaborate with universities and research labs. These collaborations have helped Signal Media to continue to research at the cutting-edge of information retrieval and machine learning, while providing academic collaborators with the opportunity to gain valuable commercial experience in a growing company.
- The UK Innovate “Knowledge Transfer Partnership” programme. This collaboration won the Best of the Best KTP 2015 prize
- ECIR 2015 Best Demo Award
- 2013-2015: The UK Innovate “Knowledge Transfer Partnership” programme
- 2014: EPSRC funded industrial studentship
Signal aims to grow its rich network through collaborations with external researchers in, but not limited to, the fields of Information Retrieval, Text Analytics, Machine Learning and Information Visualisation. Our collaborations provide both parties a great opportunity to learn and exchange knowledge.
- Orland Hoeber is an Associate Professor at University of Regina, Canada, visiting Signal during his sabbatical to share his expertise in information visualisation and human-computer interaction design.
We collaborate with UCL, Essex and City University to find placements for masters-level students. We have hosted several students in the past and are actively seeking new students. Past projects have included using deep learning to tackle both sentiment analysis and text summarisation.
- Rula Awad is investigating how to recognise and classify political bias in news articles.
- Jonathan Manfield is investigating how to identify and characterise events in streams of news articles.
- Di Wang is investigating entity relationship extraction using supervised and unsupervised learning.
- Andreas Alexiou Escallón is an MSc student at Cass Business School, City University London, studying Signal in the context of diffused innovation in digital startups for his thesis project.